Monday, May 7, 2012

An Ode to my Momma

Last night was a rough one in our house.  My little girl went down for the night around 8:30, woke up around 12:30, and then was up just about every hour and a half after that.  Oi.  She usually sleeps better than that, so I really can't complain... but it doesn't help me feel any less of a zombie during the day.

Now instead of woe-is-me-ing, all this lack of sleep and has got me thinking about how much I appreciate my mom, and the new level of understanding and gratitude I feel for her now that I have a baby of my own.  So in the spirit of Mothers Day I give you an ode to my momma.

Oh momma, dear momma you've done oh so much
you've loved us and fed us and hugged us a bunch
you bandaged our boo-boos and kissed scraped up knees
you managed to handle five kids with some ease.

I know that you gave up your life for us kids
your dreams and ambitions you held at arms-width
you traded your freedom for spit up and poop
for diapers and bottles and no sleep to boot.

And how we repaid you, I think of with grief
loud screaming and crying and fighting with Refe
we picked on our sisters and pulled at their hair
and left giant messes around everywhere.

Now that I'm a mother I finally see
the mountain of ways that you showed love to me
you nurtured, encouraged, always cheered me on
my dreams you helped flourish, and made fear be gone.

 I want you to know that I love you so much
you made me the woman I am, and as such,
I hope that my daughter will one day agree
her grandma has made a good mommy of me.

I love you mom!  Happy early Mothers Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment