Friday, July 27, 2012

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things


My friends that are new to cloth diapering, or are thinking about starting off are always asking me what my favorite diapers and gear are.  The thing is, that is a difficult question to answer!  How can I narrow it down to just a few things?  There are so many great products out there designed to make your life easier, and your baby's bottom fluffier.  I know I haven't even tried a fraction of these products yet, but I've used enough to know what I love.

So here is my list for new moms just starting out, of things I think are must-haves when you are cloth diapering.  These things will make your life a little easier when it comes to cloth, save you some money, and make your cloth-diapering adventure a little less confusing.  So without further ado- here we go!

Obviously the first thing you will need is a great cloth diaper... or a few different brands.  Or if you are like me, you will want to try them all! (Honestly, you all have read about my addiction.  You'll think it sounds silly now, but just wait!) But a few is where you are going to want to start.  I really recommend trying a few kinds out before you build a whole stash around one or two brands of cloth.  Things you think you will love may not actually work with your baby, and features you thought would be annoying may end up being something you can't live without.  It can't hurt to try a diaper rental to see what you love, or do a try-before-you-buy program from a great store like Diaper Junction, which is one of my personal favorites!  

Now personally I will tell you that we use Rump*A*Rooz diapers exclusively at night, either stuffed with a combination of their microfiber and hemp inserts, or stuffed with a hemp prefold.  We almost never have leaks, even when E decides she's more comfortable sleeping on her cute little tummy.  I think what I love about the Rump*A*Rooz is the extra fleece gusset inside the diaper to give added leak protection.  Well that, and these diapers would fit E until she was 4 if I really wanted them to.  Seriously, these things have a crazy weight and size range to them.  Love it.

Another brand I love is Tots Bots, and their Easy Fit diapers.  There are a couple of reasons for this.  #1 these diapers are TRIM all-in-ones that have a pocket opening as well, so you have the option of adding extra absorbency.  #2, have you seen their prints?  GAH!  So cute.  They have a bunch of fairy-tale inspired prints right now that I can't wait to get my hands on.  I would love to have more of these in my stash.  

I also love Charlie Banana diapers lately.  They are a lot like Fuzzibunz diapers (another of my faves), but the crotch-area is made a little wider, so they are easier to stuff.  Plus they have ridiculously adorable prints available to both boys and girls.  They are a great one-size or sized option, as are Fuzzibunz.

Ok, so accessory-wise, there are a few things that I just can't live without.  Well, I could, but why?  Cloth wipes for one, are a must when you are cloth diapering.  You just fold them up in your cloth diaper after you've used them and toss them in the wash.  Simple, super cheap, and you never have to worry about what you're going to do with that gross and poopy disposable wipe since you don't have a gross and poopy disposable diaper to wrap it in.  I've made most of my own wipes out of brightly colored flannel and hand-me-down receiving blankets, but I do have some Kissaluvs brand terry-cloth wipes that are great for really messy diaper changes.  

I also love love love having a great wipe warmer, since I pour my wipes solution in with the wipes.  It's so easy, and you don't have to deal with a baby who protests a cold wipe against their bum at every change.  It really has been a must-have for us, and I think Eisley would agree.  

Of course when you cloth diaper, you need at least two pail liners or large wetbags to store your dirty diapers in between washes.  My favorite is the Planet Wise pail liner, and the thirsties wetbag.  They have both held up great, and do their jobs well.  I do like that you can get colored liners through Planet Wise.  They also have great diaper-bag-sized Wet Bags, which are a MUST when you are cloth diapering.  You'll want to make sure you have one or two in your diaper bag at all times for on the go changes.  They keep moisture and odors in the bag, and no one knows that you are carrying around a dirty diaper.  

My last must have is for all of you pocket-diaper users out there.  A good stash of Hemp Inserts to use as doublers in your diapers.  Hemp is super absorbent, and doesn't get stinky like microfiber will over time.  It is a slow absorber though, so you will probably want to put something like a cotton or microfiber insert over it.  Hemp is amazing to use at night, or if you know you are going to be taking a long car ride.  

Well, I know there is a whole lot more that I love, but this should be a good starting point for those who have asked.  There is a lot to learn and think about when you are deciding to take the leap and try cloth diapers, but there are also a lot of really awesome and passionate mamas out there who will be happy to help you make the switch.  Hopefully this has helped you all too, and if somewhere along the way I help you convert into a crazy-cloth-lady (who needs cats?) then you are welcome.  ;)


2 comments:

  1. I completely agree about the wetbag. I have a few now...one in the laundry room, one in his room, one attached to his diaper bag, and just got one to use for the sitter. THey are a NECESSITY!

    I do have a rumparooz as it was recommended by someone at the "local" (45 minutes away) diaper shop...and so far I have not been thrilled. I've tried it for overnights and EVERY time it leaks, and I use so many different combos. It could also be that my baby is skinny and has skinny thighs. I think that created some issues with the legs on some of his dipes.

    And how come you have a picture of GroVia, but are not recommending!??? lol. I actually have a few and use them, along with my geffen insert for overnights with no leaks ( I also have 2 other leak proof systems for my baby...1. double stuffed Kawaii and 2. Bumgenius Elemental either as is or with an extra inset under whats already there. (The BG Elemental has become my favorite overall, though a little pricy)

    I just started getting into the cloth wipes. I need to figure out how to make them more convnient. I think solution in a little spray bottle will do that. But haven't gotton any yet.

    Good post and keep sharing your info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to get one of planet wise's wipes wetbags for my diaper bag... that way I can keep wet wipes in my bag. I hear great things about them. and I know! I should have written about grovia, I do love my shells. next time! =) thanks for spurring me on! =)

    ReplyDelete